Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 9 - Repentigny to Champlain

Well - woke up this morning after a little sleep in and decided it was going to be a big day.  Wanted to make it as close to Trois Rivieres as I could...turned out, I made it well past it.  130 km on the day.  With another big one tomorrow, I`ll be in Quebec City to sleep. 

Today`s ride was pretty uneventful.  Had a great start - as it feels like I`ve been travelling downhill on a slow slope almost the whole day.  Honestly - minimal hills up or down...just slow, steady downhill the whole way.  Averaging almost 30 km an hour - which, with this load is a big deal.  As the day wore on, steam was running low and I started to slow - but a great day and about 5 hours in the saddle!

Had poutine again today - three days in a row.  Lots of energy, but not sure it`s the energy food I really need. 

At the campsite, I met two pretty awesome people!  First, the camp`s owner, whose name was too hard to understand when he said it (I`m terrible at french - everytime someone from Quebec speaks a french name, it sounds like they have marbles in their mouth.  Need to get better!!).   He and his family had owned the campground right on the St. Lawrence since 1930.  It used to be quite a bit larger, and he said this would be the last year he`d have it running...but, it was an awesome spot.  The ships going through the St. Lawrence passed about 300 meters from the shore here.  He gave me some fantastic pointers on coming into Quebec City (much more helpful then most of the people at visitor`s centers - here they are run by individual cities, and unless it`s about their city, they don give you much help in terms of info).

After finishing up in the office, I set up camp, rode into town to get my dinner (of champions - can of wonton soup, can of fruit cocktail, small container of premade potato salad).  Came back and my neighbour invited me over to sit with him.  He had made tea.  He was on the way to see his son in Petawawa.  We had a great visit - enjoyed my dinner, some tea and then shared a bottle of wine I bought with dinner.  Being that he was from the East Coast, his bed time came a little earlier then me and he was off to bed at about 10.  I headed down to the shore of the river to have the last glass of wine and enjoy the stars.  A fantastic evening to sit and relax!  Got a picture of a ship coming through just as I was headed to bed!

Oh - the owner says only 100 km into Quebec City - I`m looking through the book right now to see if I can find a hostel to stay in!

No comments:

Post a Comment