Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 18 - Woodstock to Mactaquac

Woke up to lots of fog at our less then exciting campground.  Went to the public bathroom near our site, did my business, and couldn't get out.  I was locked in - I think when I ran in for my pee, I shut the door too quickly and the outdoor padlock arm closed a little.  After a some banging and body checks it loosened up and I was able to get out...crisis averted!

Eventually, started down out of the big hills to the 105 for our day.  The start of the ride today was very nice - along the quiet/calm St. John river...well, queit except for the dog that attacked Bas and I as we went by a farm house.  He came out running after Bas first - tried to bite his leg...little did I know my travel companion had fended off some wild dogs in the Himalayas (he was attacked by a pack), and so one angry dog was nothing.  A swift kick to his nose sent him away...he came after me, but I like to think I was too fast (yes, more likely a little afraid).  Mr. Prior's Lesson of the day - if you go to visit the Himalayas - get the rabies shots that are recommended - they are recommended for a reason!

The St. John - right before the dogs
We 'lunched' at the World's largest axe - a tourist gimmic that Bas thought was awesome because of it's pure stupidity.  We did our grocery shopping, got some lunch and hung out in the park near it.  Then, did our touristy pictures and were on the road again.

The hills started back up again after the axe - and the heat is still here.  It was a long afternoon again, but with canned ham and spaghetti to look forward to for dinner....oh wait, that's not that exciting, is it?  Made it to the Mactaqueac provincial park - it's a little more natural, but a still not very exciting camp ground.  Went and did a crappy swim in the river which runs just below our site - but, the banks were pretty gross.  Next time I think I'll shower instead. 

Looking at the map tonight, I'm pretty confused about how far I've got to go - definitely won't have much time in St. John's, but I think I can still make it...might be a bit of a push?  So confused - these maps aren't great, and Bas's GPS is more confusing me then helping right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment